Thursday, January 5, 2012

Diet Analysis

Upon analysis of my diet - not diet, as popular society thinks of a diet (I mean, food and beverage intake) - I have come to realize several things.

1) I don't drink enough water, since one cannot count caffeinated beverages as water. I can fix that. As of tomorrow, I will aim to drink at least 2L of water a day, or eight 8oz glasses for you people who don't do metric. NB: I have zero intentions of reducing my coffee intake, so forget it.

2) I don't eat enough protein, but I cannot do anything about that, because I am poor. I know one of my major goals is to gain muscle, and you can't do that without protein. I am going to aim for 60g per day, even though I should be getting at LEAST 100g according to popular wisdom, but that just isn't feasible at this point in time. When I start making more money, I'll buy my protein again and start eating more meat. I promise.

3) I generally don't eat enough calories, period. My average this week (Sunday thru Thursday) is 1214 calories with Thursday's being the lowest at 995 and Wednesday's being the highest at 1407. My BMR (basal metabolic rate), which is the number of calories my body uses just to EXIST (breathe, pump my blood, digest food, etc) is (supposedly) 1512  per day. That means that, on average, I'm consuming around 300 too few calories per day just to live. Which means that, theoretically, if I stayed in bed all day and did absolutely nothing, I would lose weight. Add in all my activity (working out, walking, playing with D, cooking, etc), and that weight loss should be accelerated. And I should probably be hungry. I'm not. I will talk to my personal trainer in the AM to see if she has any suggestions. Considering that my #1 goal IS to lose fat, I'm not worried. As long as I have the energy to get through my days and my workouts, I'm ok with being on the lower end of calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment